Saturday, June 9, 2007

Chaos Before the Calm

Deb will probably have my head for writing this one.
(As you can see in the picture Deb does most of the work.)

Deb and I were going to explore Walsingham Park from the water. I told her I would give her a call, after I got the truck serviced. I took 3 hours to get the truck serviced, and I finally arrived at Lake Walsingham at 11:30.

I put the Kayak under a shade tree and waited for Deb and AJ to show. As they were unloading their Kayak, I heard Deb yelling at AJ. I walked over to the Nissan truck they had driven. They were locked out of the truck. Now I was confused. Deb had the key in her hand.

“Deb informed me, the lock is broken, and I can’t get back into the truck.”

“Can’t you get in on the other side?” Nope! Nissan only gave key access from the driver’s side. There’s no other way in?

“The clicker, but it is in the glove compartment.” Seems Deb was afraid that the electronic key would get wet.

“Can we call Joey?” He doesn’t have a phone, but the good thing is he’s home!

AJ and I head Deb’s apartment in my truck, while Deb watchs the kayaks. Once arriving, AJ hops out, and heads for their apartment. I get out to look around and hear, “Mick.” I look around and then I hear my name again. “Mick, I’m over here. It’s Joey.” He was working on Deb’s stereo.

AJ comes down with a clothes hanger, as I informed Joey what happened. He says, “I’ll follow you over there.”

AJ says, “I didn’t see him there.” Typical teenager. Walk right past his father.

Joey took 2 minutes getting the truck unlocked. Deb had the good sense of keeping the windows cracked. He used a metal ruler to click on the electronic lock on the arm rest.

At 12:30 we hit the water. I start paddling away from the boat launch, when I hear Deb again. This time AJ has knocked off her classes, and they have fallen into the water. These aren’t ordinary sunglasses . She can’t see without them. Thank goodness they fell into the shallow area. I reached into the water, without leaving the kayak, and fished them out.

Off we went.


Not many animals around, but the Anhinga.


That and Deb’s favorite bird the Limpkin.


I think we seen more trash than animals on the south side of the lake. It was filthy. If you look in the background of the turtle, you will see what I'm talking about.

More people kayaking than I expected to see. Who would have thought the lake would be so popular between 12:30 and 2:30 on an 90 degree day. We encountered 2 fishing kayaks, 2 women in their forties doing what we were doing, 2 other women with kayaks that you peddle, and a man with a Hobie Cat.

No comments: