Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sawgrass Lake Nature Preserve


It was May of 2007 that I went to Sawgrass Lake. It's 400 acres located in St. Petersburg, FL. Not on the outside of St. Pete., in the heart of the city. It so odd to walk its 1 mile of board walk and to know it is surrounded by houses and I-275

I did a slide show of the butterflies and a spider I seen. The butterfly garden outside of the building that houses the restrooms. That doesn't make for easy picture taking. Butterflies are a bit skittish in the first place, but then add children running out of a building to the mix. I was so close to getting a piture of a tiger butterfly, when a child came running from the restroom. Yes, I'm like the fisherman, "you should have seen the one that got away."

Walking into the woods you could hear them, and then they would shoot between the trees like missiles. They being the Pileated Woodpeckers. These things are huge.

There's a tower that looks out at the lake. Just below was Momma gator and two of her little ones. (As you can see, I also found software that came with my camera. My iBook couldn't use it. Now I can make collages. I'm in sorry shape.)

This is something Linda wouldn't want to see. It looks like a Cottonmouth (or more common the water moccasin). She freaks out when she see the non poisonous black racer in the back yard. This deadly snake would really freak her out. It was also spotted near the lake from the observation tower.

I discovered we were near I-275 when we spotted the Gopher Tortoise.

I've taken a lot of picture of little Blue Herons, but I don't think I've ever taken a picture of one with a "hair do" like this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like all your pictures. Especially the woodpecker and the heron :)

Unknown said...

Great pictures! Your "Cottonmouth" is really a Florida Banded Watersnake, non-poisonous but often mistaken for his/her poisonous relative. Also, when upset they can flatten their heads out to make them look bigger.