Saturday, November 24, 2007

Out and About

We were going to take the kayak and canoe out on Friday morning. The weather didn’t look good. It was overcast and we had sprinkles. Linda called Mayra, and told her we would try next weekend. Linda then headed out the door, to do who knows what.

I prepared to work on the bathroom. An hour later, the phone rang. Mayra was calling. She wanted to hit George McGough Nature Preserve. She had never been to the park. I told her I couldn’t go, because I was working on the bathroom. Then I called back. Oh what the heck. What’s another day?

Should have worn a sweatshirt. It was 68 in the shade. Now I’m glad we didn’t hit the water .
Wasn’t much to see at McGough. The Laughing Gulls made themselves comfortable on the boardwalk. They weren’t frightened by Mayra or me.

Mayra hadn’t ever been to John Bonner Nature Park either. It is just a few blocks north, and we jumped in to her Jeep. We spent most of the time at the beginning of the birding trail. Didn’t see any birds as we walked further on the trail. It seems no one has told the birds that the trail is for them.

The Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher is a bugger to photograph. He is almost as fast as a hummingbird. The little thing finally stopped flying from branch to branch.

The Yellow-Rumped Warbler. One of the bird brain books tells me the Palm Warbler likes to forage on the ground like this bird was doing. But the half rings around the eyes say Yellow-Rumped Warbler; not Palm Warbler.

No comments: