Saturday, August 11, 2007

Mornings are Great


We were to meet at Boca Ciega Millennium Park at 8:00 AM. Linda and I would have made it to the canoe/kayak launch at the right time, except I stopped to take pictures. Linda told me i couldn’t just stop in the middle of the road. I had to find the first parking lot, and walk the trail to get the pictures of the Woodstork and Roseate Spoonbill. As you can see they were a little too far away to get a good shot.

Roe and Deb looked a little miffed that we were late. Then we had to make the decision to go into the water. There was a sign in front of the launch that warned against swimming/entering the water, drinking it, or fishing. Found out from a guy fishing that the sign was put up as a precaution, because of a sewer line break on Tuesday during low tide.

I have renamed Roe. She is Evinrude. The woman just rows. I would stop long enough to take a picture, and the three would be long gone.

Wow, and was the wild life out. A Black Simmer flew by, and I thought I had missed my chance again to get a picture of the bird. That when this flock came into sight. These guys fly low and fast. I only got one shot off, and I was twisted around to get the shot. The waves always seem to move me out view of the subject.

An immature green heron decided to pose on the log that Mayra had used for surfing a few weeks earlier.

Deb’s legs were beginning to hurt. Just before the Park Blvd. boat ramp, the three turned into another boat ramp. As I waited for Linda and Deb to change places, i heard a noise. It was the sound of dolphins breathing. I think hearing dolphins was just as amazing as being 50 feet or so from them.

We were on our way back when we spotted some serious wave action near one of the little islands.
It reminded me of those nature shows where the Orcas come close to shore to eat seals or penguins. I had to go check it out. The others decided it was dolphins and headed back to the launch.

I got closer and seen two huge tails. I had to ask myself, could it be manatees. The kayaker, who had gotten out of his kayak to fish, wasn't paying much attention to them. I rowed closer.

Manatees!!!

Look at the nostrils on this thing! These animals are huge. And I stayed a nice distance away. I certainly didn't want tho get in their way.

I can't believe I had this experience just 15 minutes from home. What a way to cap off the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those pictures turned out great Mic! Love the one with the nose sticking out. Not blurry at all. And we weren't miffed you guys were late. Roe was getting anxious about you showing up but I kept telling her they'll be here. Should have known it was you stopping to take a pic. LOL