Monday, August 13, 2007

Chasing the Red-shouldered Hawk

I sat in the car eating my lunch and reading the paper. The alarm went off telling me I had seven minutes to return to work. I locked the car a wandered over to the water to see if any thing was around. Nothing in the water.

I flushed out an Ibis.

A squirrel with twig crossed my path. I usually don’t take pictures of the bushy tail rats (I've probably upset some of my co-workers. They don't see them as members of the rodent family.), but today I snapped a picture of him.

A black dragon fly came into view as I ca closer. (I haven’t had time to identify him. I’’ll come back and give him a name.)

Time to get back to work. I walked over to the picnic bench to put my camera away, and that’s when I heard the sound. The screech of the Red-shouldered Hawk. A woman walking in the parking lot just west of me, seemed to be causing the bird distress. I knew I was going to be late getting back from lunch, but I had to get a shot of this bird.

From my view she looked like she was standing in a nest. I would see later this afternoon that it wasn’t her nest if it was a nest.

She had enough of me photographing her. She jumped down to the next branch, and as you can see she gave me a fright. I couldn’t hold the camera still. (As you can see from looking at picture on the left. She's a blur.)

I decided to hold my ground, with this "shy" bird. (Yep, the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds describes the Red-shouldered hawk as being shy.) The picture reveals an fearless, unhappy camper. So much for being a wall flower.

I think the team, I’m a member of at work, thinks I’m crazy. I’ve been late coming back from lunch to photograph vultures eating a possum (the pictures were taken before I started the blog. I don't know why I haven't gone back to somethings. It just doesn't seem right), having to change my pants because Charlie urinated on them, and now to take pictures of a hawk.

As I was leaving the phone rang about the time I seen the hawk flying out of the oak tree. She had something in her talons. I ignored Tigger telling me that someone wants to talk to me, and grabbed the camera. I still can’t figure out what she was eating. I stood there and took pictures as other drove out of the parking lot. By the time I thought of using the movie mode on the camera, she stopped talking to me. I guess she figured I wasn’t going to harm her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super Cool! Hawks and Manatees! Most people never see, or have the patience to see, either of these!

Love the blog Mickey, I'll add it to my RSS feed once I get my home computer running again.

Gerry