Sunday, July 15, 2007

Nature Preserves in the Area

There's a small nature preserve on Indian Rocks Beach right of Gulf Blvd. (The website says it is between 9th and 10th Avenue on Gulf Blvd. I can't believe I've been driving past it all these years.) When you first enter it, it looks like a small park in a small town. The board walk will take you all the way to the Intercoastal, and with it looping like it does, it makes it a nice little walk through the mangroves. The picture of the Heron was taken in an area that still needs to have some tall plant life. You can see the condo's too easy, except in this collage. (I know I'm at it again. I decide to take the less impressive photos and create a collage.)


Deb should live by the The George C. McGough Nature Park in Largo. (If you are traveling west on Walsingham Drive, it can be found to the right, just before you hit the bridge that takes you to the gulf beaches.) They have a turtle pond, and you can buy turtle food from the Gumball machine. This area must have a lot of turtle fanatics, because when you walk up on the deck, they come swimming over to you, their mouths open looking for a meal.

I know Deb will yell at me for writing this, but I think the Florida Soft-Shell Turtle has to be the ugliest turtle I have ever seen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Na, they are not the cutest turtle out there. I love that park. AJ and I go there often to look at the turtles and then go walk the boardwalk. One day we stayed out there for hours just sitting watching the boats.