Sunday, December 28, 2008

Green Grasshopper in the AM

Susie and Charlie have a routine. They get up a 5:00 AM every morning to do their morning business, and then have breakfast. As Charlie was finishing her breakfast, I headed out to the drive to retrieve the paper.

As you can see, there was a fairly large bug on the screen door. What can I say? My camera is always near, and even the bugs catch my attention. I should modify my last statement. The "Florida State Bug", isn't fascinating at all. It being the cockroach, creeps me out.

When we first moved here, we were standing in the garage with the door wide open, at night. Something flew in and hit Linda in the head. It was the size of a hummingbird. Turned out to be a Palmetto Bug, a cockroach with wings. It was one of the reasons I used to refer to this state as, "this God forsaken state!"

A bit of odd ball news. People are actually importing cockroaches to Florida. To either feed their exotic reptiles, or keep as pets. One of these, is the Madagascar Hissing Cockroach. Just what we need, a cockroach that gets up to 3 inches long and 1 inch wide. If the size doesn't freak you out, the hissing will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a katydid! and what is katy do?