Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fort De Soto

We had always stayed away from taking the canoe to Fort De Soto, because of the heavy boat traffic there. Since we're on vacation, Linda and I decided to give it a try. We were pleasantly surprised to find that they have a 2.5 mile canoe trail. Either no combustion motors or low wake in the area. It is not an area that the personal water craft people will be seen.

We seen the usual suspects like the pelican.

I had no problems getting close to this Blue Heron in the Mangroves or the Dobule-Crested Cormorant. I couldn't say the thing about the King Fisher that was flying from one tree to the next. I would get close, and off that nervous little bugger would fly. One day I will get a good picture of those obnoxious little birds.

Another bird that drove me crazy was the Red-Breasted Merganser. I would aim the camera, and down into the water she would dive. She would reappear 10 feet away from the original spot. I finally got a shot.

The day was topped off by the manatees. No pictures.

No comments: