Saturday, February 7, 2009

Trip to the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary


On January 25th Linda and I took a trip to Indian Shores (not much a drive) to visit the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary. It was started in the the early 70's to help save birds. I wish I could have gotten better pictures of the pelican nesting on top of the pelican cages. The best view of them were facing the sun. No pictures turned out. As you can see, the wild birds such as this Black-Crowned Night Heron seem to like hanging around the place.

The name is sort of a misnomer. They take care of more than just seabirds. You can see hawks, owls and wood peckers. Recently they took in a Bald Eagle that was shot in Seminole. Unfortunately, they weren't able to save the bird.

Speaking of eagles, I was downloading some pictures of the eagle, who I photographed over Lake Seminole, for K.D., when I noticed this picture.

No comments: